Its hard to remember a time, nor do I long too, before the arrival of Lincoln and Mac. I think of the boys as beings, individuals, asleep on my chest or quietly looking at their sweet little hands while lying next to one another in their cribs. I am so wrapped up in these perfect sweet beings as they are right now that it is hard to recall the feeling of being pregnant - The morning sickness, the exhaustion, and the feel of them moving inside me.
When I watch the boys I cant help but wonder if they too have difficulty recalling that they were ever together inside me. Does Mac recall Lincolns gentle kicks to the head and do they remember the sound of one another's heart beat? These are the things I find myself wondering while I watch them, sound asleep in their own little worlds with the edges of their mouths curling up in unconscious smiles. When I put the boys to bed together in the same crib, on their backs about a foot and a half apart and Mac rolls to his side facing Lincoln is that intentional. My gut tells me it is and the mother inside me thinks that he loves his brother so much that he wants his face to be the first thing he sees when he wakes up. What I can say for certain is that Lincoln and Mac are more at ease and fuss less when they are together.

Today, June 22, 2010 I put my little 3 week old boys down for a nap. When I went in to check on them a few minutes later this is what I found:

Mac, having been placed a foot and a half from his brother, had rolled over and had his hand resting on Lincolns head. I had never had something so simple fill my heart with such emotion. I am sure that some would say that it was just chance that Mac happened to roll in the direction of Lincoln but I know, without a doubt, he simply missed his brother.


No comments:
Post a Comment